Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discontents!
Heart 
Hi civ-ditching friends. I live in Portland, Oregon, where even the anarchists are reformists and all the leftists think you should totally join their non-violent sloganeering civil disobedience initiatives and non-profits  *if you really care and are woke about stuff.*

It's... kind of... frustrating. tedious. boring :/

Anyway, I feel isolated. I'm starting to be more open with my anomist and nihilistic sentiments and they're mostly falling on deaf ears. Or I get yelled at by people who don't know what anarchism is even though they profess it, but I'm pretty whatever about that (you don't get abolition of police by agitating for reform, and the righteous self-importance is really not that hot). I just want affinity and collaborators, and that is so very hard to come by for some reason. Even among fellow queer/trans witch punks, of which there are more than a few here. Fighting for the rights of an assimilated underclass and other boring-ass politics. But I wanna be proven wrong ;)

Tell me I'm not out here in wildness and passion land all alone you civ-bashing sovereigns <3

Jane

Oh I forgot, ya'll can find me elsewhere as

on Twitter, @rainbowkittees
on Tumblr, arcanabanana.tumblr.com
on Facebook, but you might as well not
(Mon, 24 Apr 2017 22:31:38 +0000, 10:31 PM)Insurella Wrote: I live in Portland, Oregon, where even the anarchists are reformists and all the leftists think you should totally join their non-violent sloganeering civil disobedience initiatives and non-profits  *if you really care and are woke about stuff.*

I live in Portland too, though I'm from Texas, and I really feel you on this. So frustrating to see so many "radicals" do nothing but play the spectacle of resistance.
I know. I started as an anarchist in New Orleans eleven years ago, and even though I didn't find anything great going on there was better and more discourse happening and it wasn't oriented around a bourgie activist punk scene. 

I just talked to a friend who tells me it wasn't even like that here 15 years ago.
Hallo & welcome!

You know what they say, there's nothing as divisive as "left-unity." Although your situation would probably be an improvement of mine! I hope you're able to find someone with common ground, or someone who's open to your thoughts. I think most leftists (at least anarchists/communists) should be open to anti-civ ideas, if you can just get them to engage you in good faith, like two friends talking. But it *is* hard.

Anyway, I hope you'll have fun here, and maybe find some ideas on how to deal with your local scene.

By the way, I tried following you on Twitter, but Twitter says that handle doesn't exist.
I've found quite a bit of the opposite here in Maine and New Brunswick; there's quite allot of people acting, but not allot of people talking. There's a huge homesteader and primitive skills community, and the idea that society is going to collapse or is unsustainable is a mainstream idea around here, but there's very little in way of organising anything and few people have formulated beliefs on it. There's no political force behind this sort of thought, just allot of people homeschooling their kids and everyone hunts and grows a garden.

I've brought up the idea of things like a local currency or splitting the state for more localisation and while just about everyone agrees that it'd be a good idea, no one is working towards this. Just gathering fiddleheads and working on learning to be more self-sufficient.

I look forward to hearing about your progress from out there on this forum. Good luck with building community out there.
(Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:31:37 +0000, 10:31 AM)alexander Wrote: By the way, I tried following you on Twitter, but Twitter says that handle doesn't exist.

You're right, thanks for pointing that out! It's @rainbowkitteez -- *with a z*
(Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:31:37 +0000, 10:31 AM)alexander Wrote: Hallo & welcome!

You know what they say, there's nothing as divisive as "left-unity." Although your situation would probably be an improvement of mine! I hope you're able to find someone with common ground, or someone who's open to your thoughts. I think most leftists (at least anarchists/communists) should be open to anti-civ ideas, if you can just get them to engage you in good faith, like two friends talking. But it *is* hard.

Good faith seems so scarce lately in the culture of denunciation and callouts. I know I've probably been feeding it by responding as a smartass, one of my longest-running traits. But when I'm equanimous people just talk over me. I have a few people though who seem interested.

Thanks for the welcome :)
(Tue, 25 Apr 2017 18:24:05 +0000, 06:24 PM)Insurella Wrote: You're right, thanks for pointing that out! It's @rainbowkitteez -- *with a z*

OK, followed you now. :)
(Tue, 25 Apr 2017 13:08:59 +0000, 01:08 PM)Mouse Wrote: I've found quite a bit of the opposite here in Maine and New Brunswick; there's quite allot of people acting, but not allot of people talking. There's a huge homesteader and primitive skills community, and the idea that society is going to collapse or is unsustainable is a mainstream idea around here, but there's very little in way of organising anything and few people have formulated beliefs on it. There's no political force behind this sort of thought, just allot of people homeschooling their kids and everyone hunts and grows a garden.

I've brought up the idea of things like a local currency or splitting the state for more localisation and while just about everyone agrees that it'd be a good idea, no one is working towards this. Just gathering fiddleheads and working on learning to be more self-sufficient.

I look forward to hearing about your progress from out there on this forum. Good luck with building community out there.

I worked on a homestead in Maine! I was really glad to see some subsistence skills happening. but it also sucked because the farmer/homesteader got as much out of us as he could (60 hour work weeks) and didn't pay us, in fact complained about feeding us. And was pretty queer-phobic, and complaining constantly about how everyone who wasn't like him was just lazy and therefore deserved whatever suffering they got b/c they were living off other people. It was pretty terrible. But I loved the land and the woods and the old farmhouse and the animals, that was awesome.

I think people like that have a sense that civilization is fucked, and aren't as indoctrinated into the liberal social contract, but have no analysis whatsoever of private property or the capitalist work ethic as parts of civilization, and seemingly no historical awareness of how their land came to be private property through the actions of government.
Oooh, what part of Maine were you in?

Quote:(60 hour work weeks) and didn't pay us, in fact complained about feeding us. And was pretty queer-phobic, and complaining constantly about how everyone who wasn't like him was just lazy and therefore deserved whatever suffering they got b/c they were living off other people

Yeah...That mindset's also really pretty common up around here too, unfortunantly. And they don't seem to see just how much that ethic is paying into destroying the local community by bringing in Walmart-style mass production and the like. 

I'm friends with a fellow from downstate who seems to be ostrasized by half the homesteading community cause he has an idea that a good life is one which involves the least work possible without depending on anyone else. Throw your seeds in a field and hope they grow, if you plant enough you'll get as much as you need without having to put work into it. I've got to say I respect him for it, but it doesn't go over well with allot of people.