Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bread is officially anti-civ-compatible
Remember on that radio show where JZ talked about how maybe we can't have bikes, but perhaps we can have beer? Well, it seems bread is safe too!

«Charred crumbs found in a pair of ancient fireplaces have been identified as the earliest examples of bread, suggesting it was being prepared long before the dawn of agriculture.» Yes, siree. «Using radiocarbon-dating of charred plant materials found within the hearths, the team found the fireplaces were used just over 14,000 years ago.»

«So bread was being made by hunter-gatherers before they started to cultivate any plants». That's interesting in and of itself, but it's also interesting how this «suggests that preparation of flatbread-like foods long predates the establishment of agriculture, and that farming in this region emerged within a pre-established culture of grinding and baking.»

You hear that, anarcho-primitivists? You got it all wrong! All these years criticising domestication and agriculture, and it turns out it was *bread* all along…

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018...e-of-bread
Yeah, Scott in Against the Grain gives a lot of evidence that sedentary agriculture predates the rise of hierarchy/civilization/strict division of labor by a few thousands of years. Even while Mesopotamia was going on there were plenty of HG folks living out in the marshes who kept the city at arm's length while benefitting from it. IE trading with it, mostly trees, and occasionally raiding it for free stuff.

Anyone hear the caller for the last Anarchy Radio show? The one pressing him about intermediate tech that got cut off at the end? I really hope she calls back to continue that conversation with him later. He sounded frustrated but also that he couldn't brush it off cause she was kinda weaponizing the "ableist" accusation to force a response from him about life-sustaining tech for people with special needs.

I laughed out loud when he was talking about someone pedalling a bike to power an iron lung. I really hope he doesn't actually think that is a solution...