Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Backwoods: A Journal of Anarchy and Wortcunning
Bellamy can always charge to download the PDF. BAGR does it.
So, the choice to be totally offline has nothing to do with money - we expect to lose money doing this project, and we will be thrilled if subscriptions just cover our costs and allow us to break even - it is a Luddite choice of wanting people to be engaging with the texts on paper. One of our editors feels very strongly about this, and our publisher (Enemy Combatant) does as well.

Obviously, if someone wanted to scan articles or even whole issues and put them online somewhere, that's fine - it is all anti-copyright and whatnot - but we're making a choice not to do it ourselves.
(Wed, 02 May 2018 22:23:55 +0000, 10:23 PM)Matt Wrote: If it is, in fact, true that Stirner dissolves the Cogito, then what might a "post-civilized," non-essentialist understanding of individual subjectivity actually look like?

Sure, it's a topic of the highest importance, I agree - I think our crisis is partially one of ontology/metaphysics. It's also a very difficult problem, and not necessarily a charismatic topic, so I think that explains the lack of attention. Rufous H. Byrd, who used to haunt @news, suggested that Stirner implies "sentio ergo existere" in place of Decartes' "cogito ergo sum". I've sketched it at a bit with my "Symbiogenetic Desire" piece in Egoist Ecologies, and I think Jason Mcquinn took a great stab at it in "Clarifying the Unique and Its Self-Creation", his introduction to Stirner's Critics. My piece in issue two will deal with ontology, so it will be related in some ways. 

But, echoing Aragorn, why not go for it yourself?
(Fri, 04 May 2018 02:46:07 +0000, 02:46 AM)Bellamy Wrote:
(Wed, 02 May 2018 22:23:55 +0000, 10:23 PM)Matt Wrote: If it is, in fact, true that Stirner dissolves the Cogito, then what might a "post-civilized," non-essentialist understanding of individual subjectivity actually look like?

Sure, it's a topic of the highest importance, I agree - I think our crisis is partially one of ontology/metaphysics. It's also a very difficult problem, and not necessarily a charismatic topic, so I think that explains the lack of attention. Rufous H. Byrd, who used to haunt @news, suggested that Stirner implies "sentio ergo existere" in place of Decartes' "cogito ergo sum". I've sketched it at a bit with my "Symbiogenetic Desire" piece in Egoist Ecologies, and I think Jason Mcquinn took a great stab at it in "Clarifying the Unique and Its Self-Creation", his introduction to Stirner's Critics. My piece in issue two will deal with ontology, so it will be related in some ways. 

But, echoing Aragorn, why not go for it yourself?

Quote:What birds plunge through is not the intimate space
Rainer Maria Rilke
Translated by Stephen Mitchell

What birds plunge through is not the intimate space
in which you see all forms intensified.
(Out in the Open, you would be denied
your self, would disappear into that vastness.)

Space reaches from us and construes the world:
to know a tree, in its true element,
throw inner space around it, from that pure
abundance in you. Surround it with restraint.
It has no limits. Not till it is held
in your renouncing is it truly there.
(Fri, 04 May 2018 13:18:42 +0000, 01:18 PM)Zhachev Wrote: Matt, plant some fruit or nut trees instead. The journals will be tissues after collapse.

Ha, I don't see the two as mutually exclusive! Going feral in your mind and body, and helping the land around you do the same, while spreading the word, the skills, and the ethics in every way possible is the anti-civ praxis in a nutshell, I think.

I was a bit surprised to see (in my cursory scroll-through, at least) that there does not appear to be a 'Collapse' thread on the site - is that right? I would be curious to see what the opinions are among this group on the subject,
(Fri, 04 May 2018 02:46:07 +0000, 02:46 AM)Bellamy Wrote:  But, echoing Aragorn, why not go for it yourself?

As a matter of fact, I already did. Back in December, I submitted an essay to Black Seed on this very subject that they chose not to run with. I didn't want to say anything because, with your previous involvement with Black Seed, I thought you may have been on the editorial team and already had a chance to read it. Now, it's obviously their journal and entirely up to them to decide whether the submissions they receive are in keeping with their editorial vision, so it's perfectly fine with me if they've decided not to publish what I wrote. However, I'd still be interested to know what considerations informed their decision. (And this is, perhaps, a topic that Aragorn could speak to better than you can.) 

The closest thing to an explanation that I've received is that the editorial team was "seriously arguing about whether to include any material about JZ in this and future issues of the paper." If articles that are critical of Zerzan have, in fact, been deemed off-limits, then I'd like to know why that's the case. Having never met the guy, I have nothing against him personally, but there are certain active debates within the anti-civ milieu that cannot be adequately pursued without directly responding to certain assertions that he's made both on and off his radio show - particularly questions concerning the ontological basis of individual subjectivity. 

On the other hand, it could have just been an issue with the quality or tone of my writing, in which case, that's perfectly fine. I'd just like to know to so that I can make the neccessary improvements with any future writing projects that I may decide to undertake. I just get the distinct impression that the Black Seed Camp and the BAGR Camp are kinda giving each other the silent treatment right now, and I'd very much like to know - what's the deal with that? 

Bellamy Wrote:I've sketched it at a bit with my "Symbiogenetic Desire" piece in Egoist Ecologies, and I think Jason Mcquinn took a great stab at it in "Clarifying the Unique and Its Self-Creation", his introduction to Stirner's Critics.

Those both sound really interesting. I was able to find the McQuinn piece, but I'm not having as much luck tracking yours down. Is it available online and, if so, can you post a link?
Hey Bellamy, this project sounds marvellous. I tried to order from LBC but it didn't work because I live in Portugal. Do you know how much it would cost to send me a copy?
I sent Bellamy an email from the forum here, yet no response.
Does anyone knows where to get this ?
I just got a copy today and almost read all of it. It’s the best piece of text I’ve read in a long time, plus it looks really good. Just fantastic!
(Sat, 12 May 2018 15:42:40 +0000, 03:42 PM)|0|__|0| Wrote: I sent Bellamy an email from the forum here, yet no response.
Does anyone knows where to get this ?

Just wanted to note that Bellamy has replied to |0|__|0|, and sent out copies to several posters on this forum.

Just so no one thinks Bellamy's not responding or is otherwise flaky. :)