Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice needed
Seeing as this post seems to be no longer about Lilith and is now about John Zerzan I will ask her to excuse me and add my two pennies worth.

Zerzan falls into the category of a professional idealist philosopher. His critique of agriculture is not a critique of agriculture in general but of agriculture carried out for the production of surplus, not agriculture carried out for human needs but for the profit of an expropriator. I don't use this word lightly but John Zerzan is completely verrückt, just as I am utterly messugana. Sorry John but someone needed to say it.

As for that other demigod, Fredy Perlman, his writing is reminiscent of a man trying to punch his way out of a plastic bin liner. He should be thrown in the trash can, bag and all, eventually it will decompose.
JZ & Cliff talked about this at the beginning of https://ia801503.us.archive.org/26/items...7-2018.mp3
(Sat, 03 Mar 2018 11:50:50 +0000, 11:50 AM)alexander Wrote: JZ & Cliff talked about this at the beginning of https://ia801503.us.archive.org/26/items...7-2018.mp3

The more I hear about the state of Oregon, the more they're starting to sound like the armpit of American anarchism. I realize that the problem is much broader than any one geographic locality but, with each new interpersonal melodrama masquerading as a political controversy that takes place there, it increasingly appears as though the anarchist subculture's most puerile and histrionic tendencies are drawn to their location as if by some cosmic force. Notwithstanding the fact that Dereck Jensen may or may not be a douchebag, this whole "let's protest everything we don't like" mentality is getting really fucking old.
I'm not really into this whole egoist post-leftist bullying—all the snark of Bob Black, none of the insight or wit. Thankfully, I don't know that anyone outside the @news comments section genuinely cares.
(Sat, 03 Mar 2018 19:16:38 +0000, 07:16 PM)alexander Wrote: I'm not really into this whole egoist post-leftist bullying—all the snark of Bob Black, none of the insight or wit. Thankfully, I don't know that anyone outside the @news comments section genuinely cares.

People are free to either care or not care about whatever they please. It just seems a little ironic to me that many of the same people who presumably don't care what I have to say nonetheless seem to think that I should care about the latest "controversy du jour" among anarchists in the Eugene, Oregon area. If people have a personal beef with someone in their local scene, then they should confront the person one-on-one like an adult instead of pulling the rest of the world into it. Either that or just disband your scene altogether and go your separate ways. While personal dramas might appear to have some broader political relevance to those who are directly involved with them, they all too often look like petty subcultural bickering to those of us who are watching from a distance.
Matt Wrote:American anarchism.

Is anarchism necessarily national? Is there any such thing as internationalist anarchism? Or is anarchism really just a petty bourgeois—and hence a national—phenomenon as the Trotskyists have always argued. It would appear so.
(Sun, 04 Mar 2018 20:26:37 +0000, 08:26 PM)KyXen Wrote:
Matt Wrote:American anarchism.

Is anarchism necessarily national? Is there any such thing as internationalist anarchism? Or is anarchism really just a petty bourgeois—and hence a national—phenomenon as the Trotskyists have always argued. It would appear so.

As far as explicitly-stated ideological tenets are concerned, I would say that all anarchists, regardless of their theoretical stripe, would profess to desire the abolition of national borders and the nation-state as an institution. In terms of lived practise, however, I think it would be naive to suggest that the cultural climate within a given nation at a given time wouldn't play a role in how anarchists within its borders interact with and engage in debate with one another. It just so happens that the United States is currently undergoing a particular moment in their history when ignorance is being actively celebrated and intelligence is being denigrated. In my view, this is because of a systematic "dumbing down" of America - i.e. the sudden upsurge of anti-intellectual populism as typified by the so-called "Trump effect." This very same phenomenon is currently being mirrored in various forms throughout Europe and around the world. It would be naive to assume that anarchists are immune to its influence merely because they claim to desire the abolition of nation-states and refuse to acknowledge their own situatedness within the culture from which they arise.