Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children are tech addicts, and schools are the pushers
«I don’t want my kids fed into the sausage machine of standardised testing and the bureaucratic “information economy”. I don’t want them to become robotic competitors to the robots we are told are taking their future jobs. I can opt my children out of RE [religious education, I assume], but where technology is concerned, I feel bound by a blind determinism. Surely we have a choice, as humans, over the direction technology is taking us, and education is the perfect illustration of this capacity. Our children turn up as blank slates, and learn to design the future.»

It's a decent opinion piece for a mainstream paper.

The author gets into the justification for e-learning: «education technology is often justified on the grounds that it boosts disadvantaged children, yet research shows it widens rather than bridges socioeconomic divides. The One Laptop per Child programme, which distributed 25m low-cost computers with learning software to children in the developing world, failed to improve language or maths results.»

They also point out that «[t]echnology does not evolve naturally; programs and devices are promoted by those with a commercial interest in selling them.»

I used to work in e-learning, actually, as a researcher, before I finally gave up. My hope was that somehow we could fix technology, and put it in the hands of the people, not corporations, and so on. And get rid of school — the pusher. But I realised quite quickly that you can't fix technology. It's totalising, and, importantly, reproducing. Technology won't allow you to scale it back. However, what Fredy Perlman showed us with regards to capital, holds true for technology too. Technology is an activity. And we can stop doing it. But, like Tolkien explained in the most beautiful way imaginable, we can't wield it—only destroy it.