Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work Isn't Working Out
The local uni has a "career day" where various dirty businesses show up to lure people into the careerist lifestyle. I thought someone had better make the case for unemployment as a "career", so I made this booklet:

Booklet: https://secure.plaimi.net/~alexander/p/work-booklet.pdf
Non-booklet source: https://secure.plaimi.net/~alexander/p/work.pdf

Print the booklet with long-side duplexing, 2⁰, & saddle stitch. You'll need a good stapler since it's quite thick. You could conceivably hole & string it, but I'm not sure if the margins are wide enough for that.

(Please note that the booklet isn't 100% done. The "career day" is Feb 8th, so I'm going to further proof it, & probably wibble the layout some, and print some copies on Monday.)
(Thu, 01 Feb 2018 18:23:52 +0000, 06:23 PM)alexander Wrote: I thought someone had better make the case for unemployment as a "career"

I grew up in north London. In my adolescence I had the pleasure to know two fine Nigerian gentlemen (and their brother). Amongst other idiosyncrasies these two young men -- who were known as The Twins -- talked often about their ambition to write a book entitled, The Dolecrats. The title reflected the lifestyle they had adopted. They had never held a job and relied solely on a shared paper round and the dole (unemployment benefit) for their income. They rarely took any form of transport except their own feet to get around London.

I thought you might like to read a short article about The Twins, which may give you some inspiration for your booklet, and perhaps a little encouragement for attending the careers' fair.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...features11
I had a look at the booklet. I like your introduction very much. I think I had read most of the writers earlier in life and their writings are a good mix. Someone wrote about our rabbi Marx. I think perhaps they may be transposing Marxism onto the good teacher. Didn't Marx talk about advances in capitalist/civilised agriculture being nothing more than the fine art of robbing the soil, and the worker? He also went to great lengths to distinguish between industrial production and manufacture proper.

Still I think it is a wonderful booklet and an inspired idea to attend a careers fair/slave market to hand it out.
(Fri, 02 Feb 2018 11:36:37 +0000, 11:36 AM)Zhachev Wrote: Slave market, indeed. Great essay, we enjoyed it, too. Asima is considering quitting her shitty restaurant job.

Is the job shitty or the restaurant, or both?
(Thu, 01 Feb 2018 20:34:42 +0000, 08:34 PM)KyXen Wrote: I grew up in north London. In my adolescence I had the pleasure to know two fine Nigerian gentlemen (and their brother). Amongst other idiosyncrasies these two young men -- who were known as The Twins -- talked often about their ambition to write a book entitled, The Dolecrats. The title reflected the lifestyle they had adopted. They had never held a job and relied solely on a shared paper round and the dole (unemployment benefit) for their income. They rarely took any form of transport except their own feet to get around London.

I thought you might like to read a short article about The Twins, which may give you some inspiration for your booklet, and perhaps a little encouragement for attending the careers' fair.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...features11

I enjoyed this story and article tremendously, thank you for sharing it!
Oh Jesus. I waited on tables for a couple of months under the same conditions. Definitely the worst job I've ever had, closely followed by working as a nursing assistant (glorified prison guard) in a secure psychiatric unit.
FYI: I'm printing these today, so the version up now is probably the final version.
I handed out some copies today, and will hand out more tomorrow. «I hope that precisely you have a future in unemployment!»

If anyone uses Reddit or Twitter or Facebook or those things, please feel free to share a link to this thread.
That is a good thing that you have done today. I have shared it to the Theocraticcommunism subreddit.
Critique of civilisation

Just as 19th century communism would have got nowhere without a critique of Proudhon. idealism and economical thinking in general, 21st century anti-civilisation will flounder in the muck of civilisation without a serious critique of Marx the Machinist.

It is inadequate to ignore the intense class struggle going on under our most civilised noses; it is plainly stupid to have recourse to anarchist ideology; bourgeois critics fall into trap of coalescing the barbarism of Babylonian civilisation with the primitive communism of pre-history.

It will be essential to recognise that capitalist civilisation is ephemeral and that humanity does not find its foundation here but its destruction. If we accept that the human species is merely an infant we will have been suckered in by the breast at the expense of the womb.