Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book [fiction] thread
Post & talk about books [fiction]! Doesn't have to be anti-civ-related, but definitely could be.
recently read Christopher Priest's 'Inverted World.' i loved it, a wonderful and simple (speculative fiction?) novel with a deep questioning of fixed-idea worlds.

i am currently reading 'Typee' by Melville and am doing so slowly, to savor it. it's sort of like a proto-anthropology, fictionalized but based largely on experiences of his own. highly damning of colonial arrogance, marvelous descriptive scenes. makes me want to read more by melville, though i imagine i am not ready for the big M. Dick.
(Tue, 18 Jul 2017 00:40:37 +0000, 12:40 AM)waxwing Wrote: recently read Christopher Priest's 'Inverted World.' i loved it, a wonderful and simple (speculative fiction?) novel with a deep questioning of fixed-idea worlds.

i am currently reading 'Typee' by Melville and am doing so slowly, to savor it. it's sort of like a proto-anthropology, fictionalized but based largely on experiences of his own. highly damning of colonial arrogance, marvelous descriptive scenes. makes me want to read more by melville, though i imagine i am not ready for the big M. Dick.

if you haven't already checked it out, Melville's Bartleby, the Scrivener is an amusing short read themed on the absurdities of bureaucracy.