Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romanticizing Hunter Gatherers?
Your friend is correct, in the sense that there is waste and charity one can take advantage of. You can do this for a little while. But over the long term, because you aren't eating properly, are sleeping irregularly or sleeping in the cold, your immune system starts to weaken. You get sick, or have a toothache, and at some point, you need to buy medicine. You can't afford a prescription for antibiotics, so you get sicker and die. Or you can't afford treatment or medication for an infected ingrown toenail, so you hobble around and get weaker, and die from complications from it. Or you get tuberculosis or pneumonia from another homeless person at the shelter. Or you get stabbed by another homeless person trying to rob you (because they think you have some cash on you). Or you lose something you need (like a pair of glasses, or socks, etc) and have to replace them right away.

You can survive...for a while...without using any money at all. But at some point, you're going to have to buy something. In my experience, and from other homeless people I've known and talked to, it's usually only a matter of months. Every homeless person I've ever known or talked to has needed to use money at some point to survive. That's why they are always looking for pop cans or other things they can exchange for a little cash. No long term homeless person goes entirely without money. (And even the sanyasins in India beg in the streets. Depending on their sect, some receive food, others receive money and/or food).

I was homeless for 4 months in Vancouver many years ago. I wasn't staying in a shelter, and got food from dumpsters and the local food bank. I slept in parks. After about  the first month a tooth got infected. I went to the dentist and she told me the tooth had to come out. I said I had no money. She offered me a discount on pulling the tooth, as well as a free one week cycle of antibiotics. But I needed a three week cycle to get the infection down to a point where she could pull the tooth, otherwise there was a good chance the infection would spread. So as a last resort, I called my parents to borrow money for the dentist and got my tooth pulled. One night, months later while sleeping in the park, I was woken up by a K-9 police dog dragging me through the bushes by my left arm. It was about 3 am and in my sleepy groggy state I first thought I was being mauled by a coyote or a bear. Then I stopped moving and my eyes were blinded by a flashlight. A cop was leaning over me demanding to know what I was doing there. Apparently there had been a robbery at a nearby house by the park, and I got sniffed out by the dog. The cops cuffed me, brought me into a van and rifled through my backpack while they bandaged my arm. Satisfied I wasn't the robber, they let me go. After that incident, I decided I better get off the streets. I guess this was 'cowardly' of me.

Instead of talking to people who may or may not be feeding you factual information, try actually going without money for a year or two. Live on the streets with absolutely no money or help from anyone. Then you'll know for yourself what I'm saying is true.
Some people choose death over "life" in this world. The Maze prisoners, Jesus Christ...

I stayed with a sadhu in India. He lived from alms whilst I knew him under a boulder in Bhagsunath, near Dharamsala. Years later I read about him on this internet. Indeed, it appears his lifestyle had been attacked by this world of sin and he had resorted to begging in the village, which in turn led to death from poor diet and drudgery. This world does indeed tend towards death and that is why eventually we must destroy this world.

I have also been beaten by cops, social workers and shrinks, had knives help to my temple, narrowly avoided land owners with guns. I'm still alive, as are you. Money is no object.

[Image: http://www.indiamike.com/files/images/08...ath-hp.jpg]
You sound just like some right wing libertarians I've argued with over the internet who eventually end up arguing that well, everything is a 'choice'. But then go on to complain about the tyranny of the government.

If everything is a choice (including death), then that makes a mockery of authoritarian coercion and oppression. Why destroy this world then? You choose to live in civilization. Just go without money and allow civilization to kill you.

After all, since everything is a choice,  you must already be living freely in a free world, right? No need to change it or destroy it.

Your post illustrates exactly why I left the spiritual new age milieu.
Yes, we are free. Uhuru

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i9oEyTKQmjw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oqGE1hS52a0
Lol...ok then. I can't argue with a youtube music video. You got me.
Do you wish to argue with me? Why?

Now, I will address the original question of the post as best as I can.

From the little I know, the question, Romanticizing Hunter Gatherers? is a critique of a prevalent attitude amongst Anti-Civilisation ideologues that what predates what they imagine to be civilisation is a human society based solely on hunting and gathering. I refute that conception. 

Hunting and gathering is concomitant with agriculture. Hunting and gathering in truly human, uncivilised, society is a method of satisfying our needs, either where the possibility of agriculture is precluded, or it is used alongside agriculture.

Edit: I have read the article that was linked to on the original post. I have given our esteemed anthropologist too much credit. The article is simply an apology for colonialism in Africa blaming the terrible poverty on that continent on the native culture and not on 500 years of European/bourgeois bloodletting. Sic
(Sun, 25 Feb 2018 07:59:58 +0000, 07:59 AM)KyXen Wrote: Do you wish to argue with me? Why?

You weren't aware that we've already been arguing since page 5 over whether money is optional in western industrial societies, as well as over the Spanish Revolution, collectivism, etc?  That's odd.

(Sun, 25 Feb 2018 07:59:58 +0000, 07:59 AM)KyXen Wrote: Now, I will address the original question of the post as best as I can.

From the little I know, the question, Romanticizing Hunter Gatherers? is a critique of a prevalent attitude amongst Anti-Civilisation ideologues that what predates what they imagine to be civilisation is a human society based solely on hunting and gathering. I refute that conception. 

Hunting and gathering is concomitant with agriculture. Hunting and gathering in truly human, uncivilised, society is a method of satisfying our needs, either where the possibility of agriculture is precluded, or it is used alongside agriculture.

Edit: I have read the article that was linked to on the original post. I have given our esteemed anthropologist too much credit. The article is simply an apology for colonialism in Africa blaming the terrible poverty on that continent on the native culture and not on 500 years of European/bourgeois bloodletting. Sic

Agreed.
Odin Wrote:Agreed.

Agreeable