Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Century Of The Self: Exploiting human nature for profit and power
If I can trace back to the precise moment to when I became disillusioned with modern society it would probably be right after viewing this documentary. It is a 4 episode (45 minutes each) series that has been buried because it exposes tactics employed by those in power.

I highly encourage everyone to give it a watch. The entire 4 parts are available on youtube. I have found a better quality version available on most torrent sites.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432232/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnPmg0R1M04

Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub2LB2MaGoM

Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VouaAz5mQAs

Part 2 intentionally skipped.
Quote:It is impossible to escape the impression that people commonly use false standards of measurement - that they seek power, success and wealth for themselves and admire them in others, and that they underestimate what is of true value in life. p. 11

"Civilisation and Its Discontents", by Sigmund Freud

On the science of crowd control readers may be interested in the following:

Quote:From Millbank to Quebec, via Athens, Tunis, Suez, Oakland, Barcelona and countless other places, the crowd has confronted the forces of the state with varying degrees of success and failure, of nonviolent and violent tactics, over the last couple of years. Ostensibly these outbreaks of class war have been supported and encouraged by the “libertarian communist” section of the supposed movement against capitalism, including those publishing extreme anti-state and anti-commodity theory. So when, in January 2011, the TPTG, a small Greek group, discovered that John Drury, a significant “theoretician” and long-standing member of the self-styled anti-state communist group Aufheben, had been helping the cops with a divide and rule strategy for the very same crowds that this group ostensibly wanted to contribute to radicalising, they were shocked...

"Aufhebengate":

http://dialectical-delinquents.com/wp-co...e_book.pdf
Watched an episode earlier today. I found it insightful and well-made. I'll watch the rest later. Thank you for sharing!
Finished it now. The second episode wasn't as interesting to me as the others, but overall the series was very good and informative. The conclusion was weak (human nature blah blah blah—see my reply in the human nature thread for my views on that), but the overall narrative was well conceived.
Just watched the first episode, and its very revealing. My only concern is this that this primitive repressed instincts can be used has a valid point for mass control, i mean not just for commercial capitalist reasons like this episode shows but has a social system, social nationalism perhaps, the opposite direction of a more stable fair communist and anarchist society, maybe.
(Fri, 01 Dec 2017 22:20:23 +0000, 10:20 PM)alexander Wrote: Finished it now. The second episode wasn't as interesting to me as the others, but overall the series was very good and informative. The conclusion was weak (human nature blah blah blah—see my reply in the human nature thread for my views on that), but the overall narrative was well conceived.

I do agree that the second episode is the weakest of the bunch. I'll mark it as optional in the initial post.

(Sun, 03 Dec 2017 14:10:05 +0000, 02:10 PM)|0|__|0| Wrote: Just watched the first episode, and its very revealing. My only concern is this that this primitive repressed instincts can be used has a valid point for mass control, i mean not just for commercial capitalist reasons like this episode shows but has a social system, social nationalism perhaps, the opposite direction of a more stable fair communist and anarchist society, maybe.

I don't think they needed a valid point for mass control. The level of incentives will lead those in power to rationalize any "fact" as a reason to employ their methods. If it wasn't primitive repressed instincts it would have been something else.

I view Adam Curtis as somewhat of a whistle blower. The episodes have been somewhat of a "red pill" moment for me. Most who see them can't help but have their paradigms of society shattered. It's not a natural environment created by the "invisible hand" as we've been led to believe but one that's been designed by a few high level architects. Everyone intuitively knows this but to the depth it pervades is what astounded me.
Just finished watching this documentary. Crazy shit.
Very interesting and eye opening in fact i now look at ads in general in a totally different way.
And now ?
How to stop the machine ? I think Bernays started the initial movement on a machine that is perhaps(i hope not) a perpetual movement machine.

This also in my view enforces the fact that this social system we call Republic/Democracy its self exploratory and the only way now is total freedom/anarchy.
(Sat, 16 Dec 2017 00:47:58 +0000, 12:47 AM)|0|__|0| Wrote: Just finished watching this documentary. Crazy shit.
Very interesting and eye opening in fact i now look at ads in general in a totally different way.
And now ?
How to stop the machine ? I think Bernays started the initial movement on a machine that is perhaps(i hope not) a perpetual movement machine.

This also in my view enforces the fact that this social system we call Republic/Democracy its self exploratory and the only way now is total freedom/anarchy.

I made a separate thread called "Simple Steps To Decentralize Power". Those suggestions would definitely be a good start. The other would be to spread the documentary far and wide.