Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The collective phone obsession, in numbers
https://blog.dscout.com/mobile-touches is a study that quantifies the collective phone obsession. Some highlights,

«Q. How often do we touch our phones?
A. Oh, only about 2,617 times a day.»

«Q. How many times a day do users interact with their phone?
A. People tapped, swiped and clicked a whopping 2,617 times each day,on average.»

«Q. How about sessions—how many separate times a day do people actually pick up their mobile phone to use it?
A. The average user engaged in 76 separate phone sessions a day. Heavy users (the top 10%) averaged 132 sessions a day.»

«Q: I have more apps on my phone than I can count. How many apps are people actually using?
A. So many touches, so few apps receiving them. More than half of active phone sessions were used for no more than one app.»

«Q. Just one app per session? Let me guess…
A. Yes, it was Facebook who won in total number of touches. The app racked up more finger time than native messaging or even the home screen.»

«Q. How often do we touch anything that’s *not* made by Google or
Facebook?
A. Nearly half of touches were guided by apps made by Alphabet and Zuckerberg. The other half were split among the other 700+ apps.»

«Q. Do people give a sh!t about tapping one or two million times a year?
A. Not really. According to 68% of scouts, learning about their level of phone use is stunning! And then it’s not.»

The average user had 2,617 touches a day, spending 145 minutes on their phone. The heavy users had 5,427 touches over 225 minutes. And this is not at all comparable to e.g. spending 4h on an actual computer, because there you'd actually get some work done, or whatever. Most of this usage seems to be somewhere between compulsive and subconscious, like the classic checking your watch only to instantaneously forget what time it is.

They summarised this madness very well themselves, with the humorous remark: «My phone is down. Must check my phone. Whew, that’s better. I see my phone. Must check my phone. Ah, no messages. Good. Where is my phone? Must check my phone.»