Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manhunt: Unabomber TV Series
I knew it would happen sooner or later. A new television series based on the hunt for the Unabomber debuts August 1, 2017 on The Discovery Channel.

The series stars British actor Paul Bettany as Ted Kaczynski. Sam Worthington (Avatar) plays the lead detective on the case. Jane Lynch plays Attorney General Janet Reno.

It looks horrible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7jGt7xh8UM

More info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5618256/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt
It looks like garbo. Can't stand much television at all really.
Wew Lad!
I watched it about a month ago. I have to say, it actually wasn't bad. The promos and clips made it look like garbage.

The first few episodes were poorly done, but the rest of the shows were fairly good (after they shifted to Ted K's perspective, which I thought they would never do). The series seemed to be pretty authentic, going so far as to reproduce Ted's cabin exactly down to the individual pieces of paraphernalia on his shelves. It also told the story of Ted's involvement with the Harvard CIA MK Ultra experiments, which I thought was quite interesting, and daring for a mainstream TV production.

Paul Bettany did an ok job as Ted, although he was portrayed by Bettany as more or less a dark brooding character with psychological problems. From audio interviews I've heard, Ted's outward demeanor seemed to be fairly sunny and relatively normal. Bettany also didn't inflect his voice with the kind of Illinois accent that Ted had.

Overall, I thought it was a fairly well done. The acting was good (especially Sam Worthington) and despite a couple of minor inaccuracies (e.g. agent James Fitzgerald taking credit for finding Ted--he didn't) and not withstanding the first few episodes in which the timeline keeps bouncing around, I thought it was worth watching.
I thought it was horrible garbage, but somehow entertaining despite this. All the crime drama clichés were present, with the misunderstood genius detective at odds with his family because he's a workaholic, blah blah blah. Way too formulaic as a series. However the subject matter was, as you point out, treated surprisingly respectfully. And this idea that the detective actually bought into some of Ted's arguments was interesting. Overall the execution wasn't half-bad, but a carbon copy of other crime drama shows.
Someone out of the blue wrote to me on IRC to tell me they wrote a TV series on Netflix that reminded them of me. It was Manhunt: Unabomber, of course. I'm not sure if it was meant to be regarded as a compliment, slight, or mere observation.