Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch
Hallo all,

loneraven thought this site was a waste of their time, so they deleted it[0]. Prior to doing this, they were kind enough to take the time to get me the backups, from which I have restored the site. Right now it resides on my old company's servers, and can be reached here at http://anti-civ.plaimi.net.

This means that we can relaunch the website, and even rethink the entire purpose of it. That's what this thread is for.

How many of you would like this place to continue existing at all? If nobody chimes in, I'm obviously not gonna bother making an effort, so it's important to me to know that someone cares. If no one cares, that's fine, but then I'll just let the site die. Therefore I would take it kindly if you could comment in this thread if you want the site to persist.

And if you want the site to persist, in what form would you like it to do so? Should we just get anti-civ.org (or, in any case, a very similar address), keep the anti-civ name, and just try to get the site out there, and so on? Or do you want to rethink the website, and make it about some other core concept or theme? I'd really like some input, and welcome any suggestion. Please do chime in.

Thanks for reading!

[0]  http://anti-civ.plaimi.net/showthread.php?tid=147
(Sat, 16 Sep 2017 23:09:42 +0000, 11:09 PM)alexander Wrote: Hallo all,

loneraven thought this site was a waste of their time, so they deleted it[0]. Prior to doing this, they were kind enough to take the time to get me the backups, from which I have restored the site. Right now it resides on my old company's servers, and can be reached here at http://anti-civ.plaimi.net.

This means that we can relaunch the website, and even rethink the entire purpose of it. That's what this thread is for.

How many of you would like this place to continue existing at all? If nobody chimes in, I'm obviously not gonna bother making an effort, so it's important to me to know that someone cares. If no one cares, that's fine, but then I'll just let the site die. Therefore I would take it kindly if you could comment in this thread if you want the site to persist.

And if you want the site to persist, in what form would you like it to do so? Should we just get anti-civ.org (or, in any case, a very similar address), keep the anti-civ name, and just try to get the site out there, and so on? Or do you want to rethink the website, and make it about some other core concept or theme? I'd really like some input, and welcome any suggestion. Please do chime in.

Thanks for reading!

[0]  http://anti-civ.plaimi.net/showthread.php?tid=147

I would like to see it continue. I never posted but found the discussions interesting. I would like to keep the anti-civ name, since I consider myself somewhat of an anti-civ anarchist.
"You have to carry the fire.
I don't know how to.
Yes you do.
Is it real? The fire?
Yes it is.
Where is it? I dont know where it is.
Yes you do. It's inside you. It was always there. I can see it."

glad to hear it.
this forum & all these discussions should exist.
I've enjoyed this little community we have going here and id hate to see it go, but it is rather small and quite at times, so it's honestly up to you whether or not this is kept up.
Wew Lad!
Alexander:

I would like to see this site succeed and I do think that the anti-civ theme is a good one. That being said, whether it will prove to be worth everyone's time depends on a number of conditions being met that I'm not quite sure how to achieve. The overall tone of online discussions regarding anarchist/anarchist-related theory tends to gravitate toward the lowest common denominator a lot of the time, and countering this can definitely be a challenge. On one end of the spectrum, you have the former incarnation of anti-civ.org where the discussions are reasonably cordial, intelligent, and productive but also very sporadic because the people involved more or less agree with each other on all basic premises. And, on the other end of the spectrum, you have Anews.org where the ‘discussion’ (if you can even call it that) is frequent and intensely heated, but mostly just a venue for disgruntled ideologues to vent their frustrations over the latest controversy. The recent snafu over the destruction of the Atassa Journal at the LBC table during the Seattle Anarchist Bookfair is a case-in-point of this fact.

The challenge before anyone seeking to promote this website is therefore to attract enough participation from people of diverse perspectives for the discussion to be interesting and engaging without it turning into a sectarian shit-show. To some extent, this might mean harnessing the passion that people are feeling around the Controversy Du Jour by reaching out to its central actors, but this can get dicey for exactly the reason I just mentioned. As much as I enjoy a lot of the content coming from The Brilliant and the Anews Podcast, there is something about the podcast format itself that doesn’t seem overly conducive to reciprocal dialogue. As problematic as it may be to have so much focus placed around certain “notable personalities” within the anti-civ/post-left/egoist/etc, etc milieu, a little more active participation from people like Aragorn!, Zerzan, and Chisel might be one way to draw in more users. Although, to be fair, both The Brilliant and the Anews Podcast do have comments sections where the people spearheading these projects sometimes post responses, the discussion at either of these places definitely isn’t as frequent as what you’d find over at Anews.org.

Perhaps this has something to do with a healthy scepticism toward the utility of online debate in general. I’m the last person who’s going to suggest that people should live out their desire for anarchy entirely in cyberspace but, given that even the most radical critics of technology have made it clear they aren’t above using that technology to communicate their ideas, then maybe it’s time to take a critical look at the current state of online anarchist media and ask ourselves how we can approach it differently. It’s basically a matter of finding a balance between not walling ourselves off from our critics while, at the same time, not opening the floodgates to the online anarcho-lefty riffraff who are more interested in histrionic mud-slinging than actual dialogue. I honestly don’t have the first clue how to make that happen and, seeing as my own priorities currently reside elsewhere, I don’t really have anything to offer aside from clearly identifying the challenge as I see it.

That said, I don’t think it’s impossible and I wish you luck in making it happen.

Best,
Matt
The site should go on anti civers don't have many forums for discussion any more, the discussion here was minimal yes but its still important for ppl like us to have a space for discussion. We're sort of the minority in the anarchist circle if u think about it. A lot of anarchist discord servers i've been on ban u if u hold any anti civ views we need a place like this to expand our ideas and more importantly our actions
(Sun, 17 Sep 2017 01:36:53 +0000, 01:36 AM)writerror Wrote: "You have to carry the fire.
I don't know how to.
Yes you do.
Is it real? The fire?
Yes it is.
Where is it? I dont know where it is.
Yes you do. It's inside you. It was always there. I can see it."
I'm just curious is that from the book/movie The Road it sounds like a bit of dialouge from the movie?
Seeing as there is some interest, I'll leave it up. Thank you all for your interest and input.

Is anti-civ.net an okay domain? I know it's not the exact same domain, but it's cheaper and easier for me. Hopefully we'll get HTTPS too. And I can look into making another "promotion" push once it has a permanent home.
If a .net domain is cheaper and easier go for it i don't mind at all
I'd just like to make a couple things clear...

1. I don't think that the site was a complete waste of time. I am happy that others are getting something from it, and I am never one to interfere with others' enjoyment.

2. I did (and do), however, feel that it was not worth TO ME, the cost of maintaining the domain and hosting. I had tried, previously to the Alexander incarnation, to make a decent forum and used what little web authoring skills I had, to do that, but the uptake was not sufficient.

3. The reason, in my view, for the lack of uptake of discussion can be perfectly summarised by the above quote : -

- - - I never posted but found the discussions interesting" - - -

See, this forum (when I made it) was never intended to be a platform for things that others could consume. It was created to enable discussion of what I think are the most important ideas to be found anywhere in the world.

I am actually deeply upset by the paucity of these discussions, and would like to see them develop, and have, over the last several years, done everything I could to enable and provoke them.

But most people are not sufficiently moved to actually lend their voice, or are too traumatized/numbed/disassociated by civilization to do it.

I've thought many times about making a new podcast to replace the two that I tried that stalled. I've written about 80% of a treatise on civilization that I thought would be very interesting, but I have perceived a definite lack of interest.

Many people have written me emails, and they go back and forth for a while, then fade...

What's more, even amongst the 'type' (not a real thing, just a phrase) of people that come to sites like this, I find myself baffled by how saddled with geist many of them still are, sad to say. The influences of humanism, nihilism and anarchism persist like a cocktail of tropical diseases.

If I'm proven wrong, and momentum starts building up again, I'd be delighted to re-invest my energy, but I'm just not seeing it right now.