Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the limitations of "anti-ideology"
(Tue, 19 Sep 2017 08:25:04 +0000, 08:25 AM)star_carr Wrote: I don't think the post-anarch scene is anything more than a bunch of teens endlessly retranslating Stirner and wondering how much of their ego is an illusion. There are no answers to anything down that road - just solipsism. Morally hard questions like " how to deal with the refugee crisis" are met with cries of 'spooks', in which case I just turn my back on the whole thing. If the theory has no practical relevance then fuck it.

I'm gonna have to differ with you on that point. From my perspective, some of the most cutting-edge critiques of anarchism's failures as well as possible routes to its re-invigoration are coming out of the post-anarchist tendency. The most prevalent criticism of post-anarchist theory by those of a more orthodox theoretical bent seems to be that it's too much of an academic phenomenon, that it's too esoteric, too elitist, etc. While I don't think that such criticisms are completely without merit, I do think that they are oftentimes grounded in a certain amount of lingering "activist guilt" about intellectual pursuits being inherently "privileged" activities with which only the upper crust of the socioeconomic strata have the option of being involved. From my perspective, this is basically is just a form of anti-intellectual asceticism by which one refuses to make use of every tool that one has at one's disposal to critique the the current social order. This is usually because of moral objections to the cultural context out of which those tools arose. As for it being populated largely by teens, I'm 34 and, while I am not a grad student myself, my observation has been that a lot of post-anarchist theory is emerging at a graduate and post-graduate university level.

Regarding Stirner, I tend to think that he is ripe for reinterpretation and there is no need to shy away from this. For a particularly enlightening reinterpretation of Stirner, I'd recommend checking out Alejandro de Acosta's article, "How The Stirner Eats Gods" from AAJODA #67:

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/...-eats-gods

His point about Ego being a "process" rather than an object is particularly interesting to me.

Messages In This Thread
On the limitations of "anti-ideology" - by Matt - Mon, 18 Sep 2017 22:53:01 +0000, 10:53 PM
RE: On the limitations of "anti-ideology" - by Matt - Tue, 19 Sep 2017 01:03:46 +0000, 01:03 AM
RE: On the limitations of "anti-ideology" - by star_carr - Tue, 19 Sep 2017 08:25:04 +0000, 08:25 AM
RE: On the limitations of "anti-ideology" - by Matt - Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:02:01 +0000, 12:02 PM