anti-civ.net forum
[ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - Printable Version

+- anti-civ.net forum (https://anti-civ.net)
+-- Forum: anti-civ.net (https://anti-civ.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Forum: Meta (https://anti-civ.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch (/showthread.php?tid=148)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - alexander - Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:28:19 +0000

Hey loneraven,

Thanks for chiming in with that honest response. I also hope momentum builds, and that we can all, collectively, make it worth your while to stick around.

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - Matt - Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:55:49 +0000

(Mon, 18 Sep 2017 17:49:15 +0000, 05:49 PM)loneraven Wrote: What's more, even amongst the 'type' (not a real thing, just a phrase) of people that come to sites like this, I find myself baffled by how saddled with geist many of them still are, sad to say. The influences of humanism, nihilism and anarchism persist like a cocktail of tropical diseases.

Instead of being baffled or disheartened by it, perhaps it would be advantageous to simply acknowledge it as the lingering vestiges of ideology that we're all still grappling with. The assumption that a person can just "turn off" ideological thinking like flipping a light switch is, I would suggest, a tad unrealistic. This is the very substance of the sorts of discussions we should be having, not an impediment to them.

With that in mind, I welcome any future contributions you might want to make.

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - loneraven - Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:33:51 +0000

(Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:55:49 +0000, 08:55 PM)Matt Wrote: The assumption that a person can just "turn off" ideological thinking like flipping a light switch is, I would suggest, a tad unrealistic. This is the very substance of the sorts of discussions we should be having, not an impediment to them.

I'm not making that assumption. In fact, my writing is replete with detailed explorations of how difficult it is for people to accept certain things.

But when I look back at the substance of the discussions that have been had so far, I don't see anyone that's even actively looking to exorcize their geists, sorry.

You need to shake people pretty hard (metaphorically) to break them from a trance, right?

The antipathy and hostility that I faced in the 2 years I spent trying to communicate with anarchists made me want to start a website where anti-civ ideas could be discussed separate from anarchism, and no offence, but it seems that most people on this site are just not at all willing to confront how infinitely retarded anarchism is.

Conversely, when I've made the changes in my thinking that I have, I have always been grateful for those people that were instrumental in breaking down my inertia and ideological bias.

I mean, anyone who wants to really go over this is welcome to talk about it with me on Skype at any time, as has been my open offer for many years now, but I find that most people don't even WANT to face contrary ideas, let alone are ready to do so.

One of my podcasts from a couple of years ago had on average 1000 downloads an episode for a few weeks, yet I received only 1 or 2 messages from listeners, and they never really amounted to anything.

Do you get why I would be so pessimistic and unwilling to act like all is well in this discourse? :)

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - alexander - Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:39:10 +0000

Could you guys open a thread over in politics, or wherever, to discuss this? Just to keep this thread tidy for now. Also, I think it could be an interesting discussion! It seems to be one of the things that people on here would have very different viewpoints on.

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - Matt - Mon, 18 Sep 2017 22:55:38 +0000

(Mon, 18 Sep 2017 21:39:10 +0000, 09:39 PM)alexander Wrote: Could you guys open a thread over in politics, or wherever, to discuss this? Just to keep this thread tidy for now. Also, I think it could be an interesting discussion! It seems to be one of the things that people on here would have very different viewpoints on.

New thread created here: http://anti-civ.plaimi.net/showthread.php?tid=149

Sorry, didn't mean to skew the logistical discussion off into a tangent. ;)

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - star_carr - Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:14:08 +0000

I don't think that this forum is a waste of time nor would I like to see it disappear. I'm very grateful to those people who have worked on keeping it alive. 

That said the times that I've tried to engage with people on here for any sort of lengthy discussion has generally failed. I started writing book reviews but I got such minimal feedback that it didn't seem worthwhile. Maybe it's the sense of echo-chamber that we all agree on most things or maybe its just a sort of apathy, idk. 

I'd love to see a thriving busy forum, but that all depends on the people using it. Personally I think the anti-civ media needs to become more connected and busier and reaching out to a wider audience beyond ourselves. I'd love to do and see podcasts on ecology, medicine, botany, anthropology, history etc. I'd love to see blog posts from members, essays and thoughts, recorded Skype chats and book discussions. I'd love to see someone interview people we don't all agree on but who have good ideas and discuss them. I'd be happy to play my part in any of these, but we need other people or its totally pointless. 

Let's see what happens, but I'm happy to stick with the forum as far as it goes.

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - loneraven - Mon, 02 Oct 2017 04:40:59 +0000

Hey Zhachev, you have it exactly backwards man.

My low post count on this forum CAME AFTER the lackluster uptake of its previous incarnation, and the lack of decent interaction coming from almosteveryone I've contacted about these issues.

You make of line over not given the initiative a fair chance.

Heck, I've even sent messages to many of the more active members asking to talk to them face to face and had not a single reply.

My email address is easy to find, and I have an open invitation to anyone that wants to talk about meaningful topics.

Don't make out like I've given up, cuz I haven't... I'm just skeptical about this site at present. Y'all are perfectly capable of proving me wrong.

I'll even start a new thread and we shall use it as a litmus test, shall we?

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - loneraven - Mon, 02 Oct 2017 09:41:06 +0000

My decision interfered with your enjoyment??!! Holy God no! 

Look, it was coming up for the year renewal and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money for reasons I've wish been into, and which I think are reasonable. 

And yes, now is no longer mine in any way, mine is just one opinion. The same as yours is. Unless you think there is something special about you that means what you find meaningful ISNT subjective for the rest of us? :D

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - Matt - Mon, 02 Oct 2017 19:09:40 +0000

(Mon, 02 Oct 2017 04:40:59 +0000, 04:40 AM)loneraven Wrote: Heck, I've even sent messages to many of the more active members asking to talk to them face to face and had not a single reply.

What exactly can be discussed over Skype that can't be discussed right here? What would be the purpose of such a discussion? Are you looking to convince people of something? I don't get why you're so fixated on this Skype idea.

loneraven Wrote:I'll even start a new thread and we shall use it as a litmus test, shall we?

I already started a thread for precisely that purpose but, for whatever reason, you opted not to engage with it. And that's perfectly fine, don't get me wrong. If this place is destined to fizzle, then let it fizzle. No one here is obligated to keep the forum going for the sake of other people's desire to see it succeed. With that said, it would be nice to see people set aside their respective agendas long enough to explore some genuinely provocative questions.

RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Relaunch - alexander - Tue, 03 Oct 2017 08:51:15 +0000

Thank you all for moving that discussion elsewhere.

(Mon, 02 Oct 2017 03:36:50 +0000, 03:36 AM)Zhachev Wrote: Some anon, likely one of you, only just recently informed me the site was back up and I apologize for my absence. I'm totally behind putting effort towards discussion here.

Did you not get an email? I sent a mass email to all members about the move.

Thank you for being an active member here. I certainly appreciate your efforts! Attracting new members without even having an active core would be impossible.