anti-civ.net forum
[Guide] How I cook most of my meals these days - Printable Version

+- anti-civ.net forum (https://anti-civ.net)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://anti-civ.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Skills & Decivilising (https://anti-civ.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: [Guide] How I cook most of my meals these days (/showthread.php?tid=140)

[Guide] How I cook most of my meals these days - alexander - Sun, 13 Aug 2017 23:16:37 +0000

TL;DR
---

To go into a bit more detail, what you do is put lots of veggies, beans, and onion, in a pot with lots of water. Then you cook it for at least six, maybe up to eight, hours, adding water every now and again. Then you add some nice flavourful things and marry the flavours for an hour or so. Then just taste it, adjust flavours, and repeat this step until you're satisfied.

Some details on ingredient-choosing:
  • One type of dried beans (or more if you want), like black, kidney, garbanzo, navy, pinto, it can be pretty much any beans that you like. Lentils are possible, but these should be added in the last two hours of cooking or so. I favour the taste and texture both of beans in this kind of stew. You could soak the beans if you want, but I generally don't. Be sure to wash them though.
  • Use about two types of veggies. Prefer starchy root veggies. Examples that I find work well in here: potatoes, sweet potatoes, celery (stalk or root), carrots, yams, &c. Wash them thoroughly, and put them in whole.
  • I would do about 100g (dried) beans to 1+1 veggie. So for 400g garbanzo beans, you throw in 4 medium-large potatoes and 4 medium-large carrots.
  • Put in about a quarter as much onion (disregarding garlic here) as total veggies. So following the example above, with 8 veggies, you'd put in 2 medium sized yellow onions, or maybe 4 medium sized shallots. Peel them and cut off the top and bottom, and throw them in whole.
  • Put in a about a quarter as much garlic as onions. For the example above with 4 shallots, you'd throw in a large bulb of garlic. Put that thing in whole. Yes, include the peel! Be sure to wash it though, or get rid of the outermost peel.
---

Use enough water to cover and then some. About 5l should be enough, but favour being generous to having just enough. Cook it with the lid on for 6-8h, until the veggies are quite dissolved. If the veggies are in nice edible chunks, it's ready. If the liquid has thickened quite a bit, and most of the veggies are dissolved, but you've got e.g. two whole potatoes and a particularly iron-willed carrot, feel free to just chop them up — if those remaining chaps give quite easily, it's probably ready.

You'll want to check in every hour or so, at least, adding a bit of water (maybe 0.5l or so at the time) if it's not covering the veggies. Make *damned sure* you don't burn this! You don't want to cook something for 8h only to burn it. So be generous with the water, and towards the end, maybe check every fifteen minutes or so.

---

Then onto flavouring: mustard, soy sauce, citrus acid, herbs, pepper, and, optionally, salt and sweetening.
  • For the above example I would use 2tbsp of Dijon,
  • 2tbsp of lemon/lime/whatever-you-got juice,
  • about 1dl of low-sodium soy sauce,
  • a bunch of herbs,
  • lots of pepper,
  • quite a lot of chilli flakes since I like some heat (you might not though, so either skip this, or add a more modest amount),
  • a bit of kelp for salt-y flavour (you can use e.g. Himalayan salt, or whatever you'd like, though),
  • a tbsp of coconut sugar, maple syrup, date syrup, whatever you're comfortable using really — maybe nothing,
Herbs taste what they smell, so pick something you'd like, and turn your pot into herb city. Don't pick too many different ones though. I frequently use oregano and one other one, depending on what I have in the cupboard. Simon & Garfunkel generously summed up what I generally use in combination with oregano: "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme."

Now cook it for an hour or so more to marry the flavours. At this stage you'll want to check it every fifteen minutes or so, and maybe you want to remove the lid. As long as it doesn't burn, you're golden. Taste it when it looks done enough, and, if you find it's not to your liking, wibble the taste with some herbs, or whatever you feel like it needs, stir, taste again, &c until you're satisfied. Right before you serve, if you'd like, you could throw in handful or two of something crunchy, like pumpkin seeds and/or cashews. Serve with some fresh herbs on top, if you've got'em.

---

That's it. I hope you try it out, and that you like it. It's amazingly delicious, and so easy that it feels like cheating. Feel free to improvise all the way, and do share your creations.

I put it in the fridge with the lid on, and take out serving sized portions for up to three days after making it, so this lasts quite a while.

If you have some tips on how I can improve my pots, please do share!

Thank you for your time.

RE: [Guide] How I cook most of my meals these days - ADemiurge - Mon, 14 Aug 2017 14:21:35 +0000

Good shit.

RE: [Guide] How I cook most of my meals these days - Arom - Tue, 15 Aug 2017 05:18:07 +0000

There's a worrying lack of tomatoes in this recipe. Someone needs to self-crit

(but to be serious, thanks for the info. I'll probably use this soon)

RE: [Guide] How I cook most of my meals these days - alexander - Tue, 15 Aug 2017 08:34:53 +0000

Tomatoes go bad a lot sooner than root vegetables, so I don't have them as often, and don't get them dumpster dived so often. But if you have them, by all means throw them in!

RE: [Guide] How I cook most of my meals these days - Arom - Tue, 15 Aug 2017 21:44:34 +0000

I've been making this for about four hours now, and it's turning out pretty good. I added fresh peppers, and they basically do the same thing as onions.

Definitely need to cook it for the recommended time. The chickpeas are still somewhat hard.

Good shit

RE: [Guide] How I cook most of my meals these days - ADemiurge - Fri, 18 Aug 2017 19:38:41 +0000

Will try this or next weekend. Looks good!